Fire sparks evacuation of patients at Altnagelvin Hospital

Fri, 02/12/2011 - 19:15 -- Editor

A number of patients had to be evacuated from a ward at Altnagelvin Hospital this afternoon after a fire broke out.

A piece of office equipment sparked the blaze which resulted in a number of patients and their visiting relatives being moved from Ward 7.

A spokesperson for the Western Trust said that the fire started outside the ward shortly after 4pm on Friday. Fire crews dealt with the incident and the ambulance service were also in attendance. No one was injured and all patients and staff have since returned to the building.