Following a burglary at the home of a woman in her 90s in Newtownabbey, where two burglars entered her home posing as tradesmen, police are offering the following advice for anyone who is elderly or living alone.
- Report suspicious persons or vehicles being driven in a suspicious manner immediately
- Before answering the front door, make sure the back door is locked.
- If you have a door chain, remember to use it before opening the door. If not, we recommend you get one installed.
- Ask the caller for their identification and check it carefully.
- Ask them to wait outside and close the door - genuine callers will not mind.
- Ring Quick Check on 101. The call will be answered personally and promptly by a trained police call handler. They will check with the company that the person at the door is genuine. If they are not or they think that there is something suspicious, the operator will be able send the police to you.
- Do not let anyone into the property until you are satisfied as to who they are